Here are 30 interesting facts about chickens.
- Deep frying chicken in fat was a Scottish tradition. Scottish people who immigrated to America continued this tradition and are responsible for introducing it to African slaves. – Source
2. On worldwide average, 96 chickens are killed every 0.05 seconds. – Source
3. In Switzerland, Rabies has been virtually eradicated after scientists placed chicken heads laced with a vaccine in the Swiss Alps. The foxes of Switzerland, proven to be the main source of rabies in the country, ate the chicken heads and immunized themselves. – Source
- In 1969, Robert Lanza, a 14-year-old scientist used genes to change chicken feathers from white to partially black, which his teacher said was playing god. – Source
5. The UK virtually eliminated salmonella by vaccinating chickens. The U.S. has declined to mandate such vaccinations. – Source