Yesterday when I started planning for dinner, I saw I barely had anything in my fridge. I had these two corn sitting in the vegetable drawer and I remembered that last week I had bought more spinach than I needed so I had blanched and pureed some of it and put it away in freezer. That is what I used.
That was it. Corn and spinach make a perfect match. I love the combination of the natural sweetness of corn and the saltiness of spinach.
I quickly made some spinach-corn gravy and paranthas and we were set.
Spinach Corn curry
1 cup corn kernels (you can use frozen ones or steam fresh corn kernels for about 20 mins)
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 green chilli, chopped
2 cups spinach puree
A pinch of asafoetida
2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
Salt to taste
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp chaat masala
2 tbsp oil
* If you are using fresh spinach, roughly chop and blanch it in a little water. remove from heat, let it cool and puree.
* On a side, put corn kernels for steaming. It usually takes about 15-20 mins for them to become soft.
* Heat oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot, add asafoetida, garlic and green chillies. Saute for a couple of minutes till the garlic just start to brown.
* Add the chopped onions and sauté for another 8-10 minutes till the onions become soft and turn slightly brownish.
* Now add the spinach puree and all the spices. Cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and blend together with a stick blender. I prefer stick blender because then I can control how much to blend, I do like a few pieces of onions here and there.
* Return to heat, add the steamed corn kernels. Cook covered for 2-3 minutes.
* Serve hot with paranthas.
Food is never just food. I believe it’s story telling, it’s conversation. It brings people together and it speaks a universal language! I love to play around in my kitchen. The thrill of being able to create something new and sharing it with others is what fuels my passion for cooking. The fact that dear husband is a foodie and an honest critique helps! I blog about my adventures in the kitchen at http://www.myweekendkitchen.in/