The government has stopped over the counter exchange of old notes of Rs 500 and Rs 1000 from last midnight. Government has permitted various exemptions for certain transactions and activities wherein payment could be made only through old Rs. 500 notes . All these places will allow usage of Rs 500 notes till the midnight of 15 December 2016.
1) Payments towards pre paid mobile top-up to a limit of Rs. 500 per top-up.
2) Purchase from Consumer Cooperative Stores will be limited to Rs. 5000 at a time.
3) Payment of fees in Central or State Government colleges.
4) Foreign citizens will be permitted to exchange foreign currency up to Rs. 5000 per week. Necessary entry to this effect will be made in their passports.
5) Payment of current and arrear dues to utilities will be limited to only water and electricity. This facility will continue to be available only for individuals and households.
6) It has been decided that toll payment at toll plazas to be made through old Rs. 500 notes from 3.12.2016 to 15.12.2016.
7) Payment of School fees up to Rs. 2000 per student in Central Government, State Government, Municipality and local body schools.